Monster Project: Phase 15

We’re going back in Monster Project time for a moment to the process of actually removing my cush drive rubbers. If you recall my last post on this topic… my attempts were unfruitful. I called my friend Shelby and asked if we could get my cush drive rubbers out of the rear wheel. He told me we could go over to his grandpas and figure it out one way or the other. 

image

First they tried the slide hammer (which I had tried once as well). 

image

Then decided to get a better angle on it using the counter. 

image

It worked for the first one…

image

Got a little surprised look out of the ol’ graybeard… 

image

…decided to try again.

image

We were not so lucky with the other rubbers.

image

Discussions happen. 

image

With some more slide hammering we got the second one out.

image

image

After trying again, we instead had the centers pull out from my previous drilling. 

image

Three out, and three without centers. 

image

We tried drilling out the rubber…

image

image

That didn’t work, so Shelby went at it with an exacto knife. 

image

And then the delicate drilling process commences. 

image

The object was to break through the outer layer of metal so we could knock it out afterwards. 

image

image

We went in from behind with a small tube angled up against the outer metal rim and used a hammer to break it free. (Snickers)

image

image

FINALLY!

image

They got easier as we carried on…

image

image

image

The happiest moment I had in a while… all of those stupid things OUT! After this I went on to having them painted. 

image

Look at all the dead soldiers. 

image

So, by the way… having to remove cush drive rubbers this way is not abnormal I guess. As per the techs at MotoCorsa, heat/cutting is often necessary. These little brats often have to be pressed in. 

[ read more from the Monster Project

5 notes

Show

  1. motolady posted this

Blog comments powered by Disqus