Today I went up to San Onofre and San Clemente to visit my friend Justin who runs the Peanut Butter Coast blog. He’s down from Seattle with his friend Chris on a surfing adventure road trip dubbed 'The Peelgrimage'. After food, he showed me a cool motorcycle shop he had stumbled upon, Montomery Motorcycles.
San Clemente, with a small population of some 60k people, caught me off guard with the super cool vintage motorcycle shop. It’s only about an hour from San Diego, but I didn’t know of much going on there besides nice surf.
When Daniel said “I’m going to ride this thing out of here tonight or tomorrow” I couldn’t help but feel pessimistic due to my own failures during my Monster build.
At the Deviants CC compound in Vancouver, WA… I spent a few hours going at the BSA frame with an angle grinder yesterday. My mission was to remove the bondo from the frame so I could see what is really going on with the structure of the hard tail, where I need to cut and start over again.
The welds look pretty old judging by the wear and tear, and Wolf told me they were probably stick welds not something more fine tuned. Whoever built this bike must have fancied themselves a sculpter because they chose to use the bondo crap to shape it instead of metal. Seems silly to me.
While I’m finishing the Monster, I’ve had a lot of things rattling around in my brain for this Rust Bucket / BSA Project of mine. Firstly, I found out it’s a 1958 BSA A7 or A10. The difference being the exact model and either 500 or 650cc (thanks to everyone who corrected my typo). I’m stoked to know it’s about 7 years older than I thought and pre-1960s! So cool.
Hand stamped VIN number close up- this is one thing I love very much about this bike. It might have been bondo-ed to shit, but damn it has character. Paul D’Orleans of the Vintagent clued me in on the fact that all British bikes have hand stamped identification numbers. I had no idea!
Anywho, I figured I’d share some of the inspiration I’ve collected while figuring out exactly where to go with this.
So, I bought this early 60’s BSA frame a couple months ago from a neighbor with the intent to start working on it when the Monster is done. I didn’t post about it because I knew I’d catch a whole lot of flack from people wondering why the hell my Monster has taken so long, and why I’m picking up new projects before the first is done. But let’s face it, if you’re into motorcycles and especially customizing them… you know exactly what is going on here.
It’s got a Harley rear wheel on it, a custom (crappy) hard tail job, and a fair amount of rust. Anywho, since I’ve done all I can do until this week on my Monster, I decided to take the rear wheel off this bad boy and start cleaning up the frame.