The June issue of Sportbikes Inc. Magazine has arrived, and within you can find some exclusive photos of my Monster, “Pandora’s Box” for your viewing pleasure.
I am flattered and honored to have been included in the publication featuring the lovely Red Spade on the cover.
A while back (seriously, a while ago) I met Mitch Sander up in Yakima, WA (he now lives in Seattle) through our mutual friend Dave Buchanan (redandblackattack.tumblr.com) and laid eyes on his beautiful Triumph. It’s a garage built 1966 Bonneville hard tail with a modern front end.
We all sat down and ate burritos and talked about bikes, I picked his brain about his build because dammit… I would so love to ride that thing. It’s classy, functional, sounds awesome, and has history. Read on for my interview with Mitch.
The last part of the Monster building process that I wrote an ‘official’ article about was when I finished the rolling chassis at SDS and moved it to my living room for awhile.
When Daniel said “I’m going to ride this thing out of here tonight or tomorrow” I couldn’t help but feel pessimistic due to my own failures during my Monster build.
At the Deviants CC compound in Vancouver, WA… I spent a few hours going at the BSA frame with an angle grinder yesterday. My mission was to remove the bondo from the frame so I could see what is really going on with the structure of the hard tail, where I need to cut and start over again.
The welds look pretty old judging by the wear and tear, and Wolf told me they were probably stick welds not something more fine tuned. Whoever built this bike must have fancied themselves a sculpter because they chose to use the bondo crap to shape it instead of metal. Seems silly to me.
So, last I left off in Monster Project blog updates… I couldn’t find all the important bits for the rear wheel and attaching it to the bike. Axle, spacers, etc. I ripped apart my garage and stayed up until 5a putting it back together and just couldn’t find them.
I called everyone who’s shop the bike had been at to double check I hadn’t left it somewhere, and finally caved and replaced the rear axle and spacer bits. I stopped by Cheshire Motorsports on Division in Portland and they had the parts I needed… used! Cost me $40 and I was back in business.
Trying to get blog updates for the Monster Project all caught up, been a busy bee. If you recall, the bike was transported in pieces to SDS via my Honda coupe.
Those who payed attention to instagram saw it being put back together by myself and the veteran racer Nobi Iso.