Powdercoat preparation time for the Monster Project. Even though I had so many things mapped out in my head, it always takes longer to do once you’re in it. Similar to me taking off my rear shock and taking the swing arm apart. Oh it’s just a few bolts, right… RIGHT?! WRONG… so wrong.
Combine the fact that this bike was somewhat neglected and abused before I got it with the reality that I’m still learning as I go… it took me like 2 hours. I started at almost 12am (blame my insomnia). Needless to say I was tired as hell the next day at work. It started with Heath dropping off my frame, all tail chopped and with new steering stops.
I told you guys I would keep you updated, and I have done a halfway decent job at doing so. I will admit, the photos and process below actually happened about two months ago, and since then I’ve been waiting on the parts to come back. It took about 3 weeks to get all the pieces in the same place (some purchased on ebay, off the bike, and locally in Portland). Since then I’ve been very patiently gnawing my fingernails off in anticipation.
I went through this whole front-end removal ordeal so I can put 748 forks on the 750 Monster, and of course they are differently sized by a whopping millimeter or three. At first we thought machining out some of the existing triple would be an easy fix. As it turns out, nothing can be easy because that would take all the joy out of it!
Epic slew of pictures behind the cut…