Trying to get blog updates for the Monster Project all caught up, been a busy bee. If you recall, the bike was transported in pieces to SDS via my Honda coupe.
Those who payed attention to instagram saw it being put back together by myself and the veteran racer Nobi Iso.
While I’m finishing the Monster, I’ve had a lot of things rattling around in my brain for this Rust Bucket / BSA Project of mine. Firstly, I found out it’s a 1958 BSA A7 or A10. The difference being the exact model and either 500 or 650cc (thanks to everyone who corrected my typo). I’m stoked to know it’s about 7 years older than I thought and pre-1960s! So cool.
Hand stamped VIN number close up- this is one thing I love very much about this bike. It might have been bondo-ed to shit, but damn it has character. Paul D’Orleans of the Vintagent clued me in on the fact that all British bikes have hand stamped identification numbers. I had no idea!
Anywho, I figured I’d share some of the inspiration I’ve collected while figuring out exactly where to go with this.
So, I bought this early 60’s BSA frame a couple months ago from a neighbor with the intent to start working on it when the Monster is done. I didn’t post about it because I knew I’d catch a whole lot of flack from people wondering why the hell my Monster has taken so long, and why I’m picking up new projects before the first is done. But let’s face it, if you’re into motorcycles and especially customizing them… you know exactly what is going on here.
It’s got a Harley rear wheel on it, a custom (crappy) hard tail job, and a fair amount of rust. Anywho, since I’ve done all I can do until this week on my Monster, I decided to take the rear wheel off this bad boy and start cleaning up the frame.
So, I was mounting my Monster tires today (under the supervision of a Ducati Master tech, mind you) to my fancy-ass newly painted gold sparkly wheels… and the tire exploded. I ended up taking a trip to the hospital. Whole story? Read on…
Got my wheels back all painted today thanks to Aaron Walker. Bearings, kush drive rubbers, and tires… and the Monster Project will enter roller phase! These things are much like my tank, it’s hard to enjoy their true glory without seeing them in person. Check out the close ups to see the prism flake that matches my tank! YEEHAW! SPARKLES!
I told you guys I would keep you updated, and I have done a halfway decent job at doing so. I will admit, the photos and process below actually happened about two months ago, and since then I’ve been waiting on the parts to come back. It took about 3 weeks to get all the pieces in the same place (some purchased on ebay, off the bike, and locally in Portland). Since then I’ve been very patiently gnawing my fingernails off in anticipation.
I went through this whole front-end removal ordeal so I can put 748 forks on the 750 Monster, and of course they are differently sized by a whopping millimeter or three. At first we thought machining out some of the existing triple would be an easy fix. As it turns out, nothing can be easy because that would take all the joy out of it!
Epic slew of pictures behind the cut…
I have slacked so hard updating the Monster Project. Maybe it’s because now that I’ve done all I can do, I’m playing the waiting game. I found a really great place to rest and wait…
I have many plans for my monster. Amongst the most important were the new front end and dual disc brake conversion. So, Phase 4 included removing the front wheel to put attach the dual rotors as to make sure they fit and work with the stuff already there. Honestly, this was not a necessary step… but I needed to return my single rotor to the guy I got my parts from. He swapped me a set for the price of one rotor and my loner in trade.
Phase 5 commenced the day after, which included removing the back wheel to change the sprockets and replace the really, really worn out chain. Will post that update very soon.
Pictures and video from Phase 4 below.