Video, photo gallery, and party breakdown from the third annual Women’s Motorcycle Show is here!
Monster Project: Phase 12
Powdercoat preparation time for the Monster Project. Even though I had so many things mapped out in my head, it always takes longer to do once you’re in it. Similar to me taking off my rear shock and taking the swing arm apart. Oh it’s just a few bolts, right… RIGHT?! WRONG… so wrong.
Combine the fact that this bike was somewhat neglected and abused before I got it with the reality that I’m still learning as I go… it took me like 2 hours. I started at almost 12am (blame my insomnia). Needless to say I was tired as hell the next day at work. It started with Heath dropping off my frame, all tail chopped and with new steering stops.
It’s funny to see the bike back right where it started when Heath and I hauled it away to my house right after I got it… alllll the way back last May. MAY for chrisakes! I then hauled the almost-motorcycle into work and stashed it next to me at my desk to I could gaze upon it lovingly. I may have sat on it and made vroom vroom noises… but I never told you that.
That night the fun began near midnight as I previously mentioned, with my reject tool sets because I left my awesome new all black Husky socket set over at Justin’s house. DOH. Rather than trying to remember which direction these weird clips and bolts went, I just snapped some photos before bagging and labeling them.
It was only today, looking at this photo in large size, that I noticed the freaking spider… sitting there mocking me. Well, I’ll show you buddy… I bet you got shaken right the f*** off when I was whacking the crap out of that thing with a rubber mallet.
Removing the rear shock was not the hard part, oh no. In fact, that was relatively straight forward.
You may be wondering why was I whacking it with a rubber mallet. Allow me to explain the frustration I encountered. I don’t know what this business is called, but the strut like bracket thang that connects to the swing arm… has two bolts that go through either side of the mount. Of course one came out easy peasy, but the other was absolutely not budging. After wrassling with it, wondering if we were missing some extra tiny bolt or needed to unthread it… we decided to start hitting it with things. The rubber mallet did absolutely nothing. Well, besides kind of eff it up and leave big dents in the cheap POS. I even tried spraying super slick lube all over it before giving up on that. Finally, I grabbed a regular hammer and tapped it gently but with force, as straight on as I could so it wouldn’t meet any more resistance.
Yeah, it finally came out. And the problem was very apparent- it was fused from corrosion. Mmmm, RUST.
It doesn’t appear that the inside of this thing is completely damaged but I imagine I’ll need to do some work to make it safe. And obviously I’ll need to replace that bolt. Imagine if I had’ve just ridden this thing as it was… can you imagine that integral part of your bike just SNAPPING?! Screw that. At this point I’m super dirty, super tired, and realize I forgot to put latex gloves on again. I think I give up on that idea… unless I’m working with gasoline or serious chemicals- a little grease on the hands never hurt anyone.
Next up was taking off the extra little pieces like these end bits on the swing arm. Delerious and annoyed, I didn’t realize there is a tiny tiny tiny little screw that goes in the opposite end holding all this business together. I had to twist it all the way back in, and then all the way out again. Ah, c’est la vie.
The second one was even harder to manipulate than the first and after finally ripping it all apart I realize that tiny tiny tiny screw was bent. I really don’t even know how the crap that would happen. Anyone, anyone?
So finally… it is done. Finally. And here is the pile I am left with. A crazy dirty swing arm, corroded bits, bent screws… and my reject tools.
By the way- put your bolts and small parts in bags and LABEL THEM. Do it. You will thank me later.
All ready for powder coat, I crammed ‘em in my car to drop off with my friend Justin Knauer (from Icon Motosports) who happened to be getting a crap load of stuff powder coated and included mine in the bulk order! (Thank you sir!)
Next up was my wheels. These I didn’t take apart- Anthony at Bridge City Cycles said he’d take care of it for me. The wheels will be gold, the frame and swing arm will be black. It just so happens that my wheels fit perfectly in the back of my car. …with my Ouija board. haha.
Now, I play the waiting game more. Hurry up! …and wait.