These people are cramazing. What did they do with their time off today? Made this amazing sign. Shark Week at Bonneville!
The Rust Bucket Project: Phase 1
So, I bought this early 60’s BSA frame a couple months ago from a neighbor with the intent to start working on it when the Monster is done. I didn’t post about it because I knew I’d catch a whole lot of flack from people wondering why the hell my Monster has taken so long, and why I’m picking up new projects before the first is done. But let’s face it, if you’re into motorcycles and especially customizing them… you know exactly what is going on here.
It’s got a Harley rear wheel on it, a custom (crappy) hard tail job, and a fair amount of rust. Anywho, since I’ve done all I can do until this week on my Monster, I decided to take the rear wheel off this bad boy and start cleaning up the frame.
Here’s the current state of the frame… meh.
Taking the rear wheel off was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Seems that someone recently removed it for one reason or another.
Much like my Monster, I’m learning all of this as I go. This axle/sprocket/drum brake system mounts differently than the ones I’ve dealt with.
It took me a second once I got the axle free to realize I had to remove the bolts on the outside of the sprocket and carrier before I could get the wheel off.
I have however learned what I should take pictures of for reference later. Also simple things like threading bolts back in (if you can) or making good notes about where they go are very helpful.
It kind of looks to me like someone was all, “Welp, Jimbo… just throw some more Bondo on it! It’ll be fine.”
Aaaaaand that’s a little dirty.
Upon further inspection I found that getting the fender off was going to be an ordeal (seized/rusted bolts and no dremmel, no way to access with impact driver either). So I managed to shove it in the mighty wee-Honda Accord coupe for transport.
And psst… if you want to see where I’m going with this you can follow my BSA Project pinterest board.
Over and out… for now.